UNDERSTANDING PERSPECTIVE | LIVE online masterclasses in perspective sketching made easy with Urban Sketcher Stephanie Bower
- Do you fear or fake perspective sketching?
- Can’t figure out how to start a perspective sketch?
- And where is that darn vanishing point anyway?
Understanding Perspective is a LIVE online course that makes perspective sketching easy! I’m Urban Sketcher, workshop instructor, architectural illustrator, and author Stephanie Bower, and I’m excited to offer this course to anyone wanting to finally understand how perspective works. Perspective is easy when you know what to look for!
This course is a live, interactive 6-part online class taught via Zoom in which you’ll learn by drawing along with me in real time. In each class, we’ll take notes and sketch together as I present perspective concepts in a crafted PowerPoint presentation, then we will apply those concepts in a step-by-step sketching demo that we will draw and paint together. And like an in-person workshop, you’ll see me work and I’ll answer your questions LIVE.
With my background as an architect, I’ve taught perspective sketching in architecture and interior design programs at colleges and universities for decades. I’ve drawn on that experience to create a course that starts with easy concepts and progresses through many aspects of sketching buildings and spaces in perspective. You’ll see and learn things that you could not get in an in-person workshop! Concepts are explained with simple diagrams, together with loads of photos and sketching examples — information that you can incorporate into your sketching now, regardless of your preferred sketching or painting style or media. It’s about getting the “good bones” right!
- Class 1: Creating a Road Map to Follow
- The foundations of a perspective sketch in 3 simple steps
- Class 2: Perspective Fundamentals
- One and two point perspectives—what’s the difference?
- View Angles and View Eye Levels
- Class 3: The Importance of Foreshortening
- Class 4: Multiple Vanishing Points
- Streets, Roofs, Stairs
- Class 5: Circles in Perspective
- Arches (they are not like horseshoes!)
- Class 6: Looking UP
- Towers are like wedding cakes
- Domes are round
++++++++++ WORKSHOP FEE
Understanding Perspective: Classes 1-6, Workshop fee is US$325.00
Workshop fees are payable by check or Zelle for US participants or by PayPal for international participants. Info will be sent to all registered participants.
++++++++++ DATES AND TIMES
Session 1: Sundays at 9am Seattle time (12noon New York, 6pm Paris) for 6 weeks. January 17, 24, 31, February 7, 14, 21
Session 2: Tuesdays at 4pm Seattle time (7pm New York; 9am Wednesdays in Sydney, Australia) for 6 weeks. January 19, 26, February 2, 9, 16, 23. Note: this class content is particularly targeted to beginning sketchers. If you are new to sketching, please sign up for this session.
- Each class is expected to run about 3-3.5 hours (It goes by very quickly.)
- Classes will be limited in size.
++++++++++ HOW TO REGISTER
Registration opens promptly on Wednesday, January 6 at 10am Seattle time. Email Stephanie at email@example.com at that time, and be sure to indicate which session you’d like, Sundays or Tuesdays (beginners).
- During this class, will you be sitting outside on location or are we working from photos?
Sadly due to the pandemic, we cannot sketch together live on location just yet. This will be the next best thing as you join me in my tiny studio and we work from carefully selected photos with the understanding that ultimately, the course is about location sketching. In some ways, you’ll see the demos BETTER than when done in person, as Zoom will allow you to look at my sketches up close.
- What do you mean by an “interactive PowerPoint”?
I’ve created these classes to mirror a real college course. Most of the information is delivered through detailed PowerPoint presentations that I’ve developed. I’ll pause throughout the presentation so that you can draw and take notes, and I will sketch along with you as well. After the PowerPoint and a short break, we’ll apply the concepts learned to an actual live demo. I’ll draw and paint a scene step-by-step so that you can also draw and paint with me at the same time. And before each class, I’ll email participants a worksheet that they can print out and use for notetaking or simply to help them follow along.
- I’m new to sketching, is this class OK for me?
YES, I love teaching beginners! If you are new to perspective, or simply want to improve your knowledge and skills, this class is for you. The Tuesday afternoon session is particularly targeted to new and beginning sketchers.
- I’m already a pretty good sketcher, will I learn anything new from this class?
YES! Even seasoned sketchers will benefit from seeing this approach and for the deep and detailed dives into architectural elements like multiple vanishing points, ellipses, and domes. I’ll also show lots of shortcuts to sketching complex subjects in simple ways.
- Will there be homework?
Yes, but homework is optional. I’ll provide a few images at the end of each class that you can work on at home and at your own pace. I’ve created a private Facebook group where you can share your sketches and homework with others in the courses.
- I don’t have a computer or tablet, can I still take this class from my phone?
You will need a computer or laptop to do this course. A phone or tablet will not work.
- What art supplies will I need for this class?
You’ll need your basic sketching equipment, including watercolors. I’ll email participants a list of supplies.
- What equipment do I need for this class?
Use the largest screen and best wifi connection available to you! You will also want the newest equipment possible with the best camera so that we can see your work well.
You will need to have the free online download ZOOM downloaded onto your computer (ideal) or laptop. Instructions on how to join the live class will be emailed to all registered participants each week.
- You can download the free Zoom app here.
- A short video about how to join a Zoom meeting is here.
- Zoom frequently asked questions are here.
- **Note: We will be using the side-by-side feature for viewing on Zoom. That way, you can see both the PowerPoint and my sketches at the same time. That’s why you will need as large a screen as possible!
- How Tech and Materials Check
I’ll schedule a Tech Check on Zoom the Saturday before classes start so that everyone knows how to access Zoom’s “side-by-side” viewing mode. I’ll also go over the art materials we’ll use in the class and talk , including how to mix my “Magic Gray”.
- How does this course compare with your Craftsy classes and books?
The biggest difference between this class and Craftsy and my books is that this is LIVE instruction! You can ask questions and I’ll answer in the moment. Most of this content is brand new, and doing the live demo together at the end of each class will cement the concepts you are learning.
- Will this class be recorded to show again at a later date in case we cannot participate in the live classes?
Yes, recordings will be available for viewing (not downloading) after each class. These have proven to be extremely helpful for participants who prefer to work slowly or who have to miss a class.
- Will you be offering more classes in the future?
Definitely! I intend to keep offering Understanding Perspective. If you have suggestions for days and times that might work better, please let me know. The plan is to also add new courses, such as sketching interiors. So stay tuned!
Thanks so much for your interest in this course! I hope to see you on Zoom!
Join the thousands of people around the globe who’ve taken these online classes offered through Craftsy. They are high quality, state-of-the-art instruction that can be viewed at any time, an unlimited number of times, from any device. http://www.craftsy.com
What you get:
- 7 Streaming HD video lessons with anytime, anywhere access from any device
- You can purchase an individual class or subscribe for unlimited classes
- Class materials
- Hours of close-up instruction
- Answers to student questions from instructor Stephanie Bower
- Closed captioning available (web only)