UNDERSTANDING PERSPECTIVE | LIVE online masterclasses in perspective sketching made easy with Stephanie Bower
- Do you fear or fake perspective sketching?
- Can’t figure out how to start a perspective sketch?
- And where is that darn vanishing point anyway?
Understanding Perspective is a LIVE online course that makes perspective sketching easy! I’m Urban Sketcher, workshop instructor, architectural illustrator, and author Stephanie Bower, and I’m excited to offer this course to anyone wanting to finally understand how perspective works. Perspective is easy when you know what to look for!
This course is a live, interactive 6-part online class taught via Zoom in which you’ll learn by drawing along with me in real time. In each class, we’ll take notes and sketch together as I present perspective concepts in a crafted PowerPoint presentation, then we will apply those concepts in a step-by-step sketching demo that we will draw and paint together. And like an in-person workshop, you’ll see me work and I’ll answer your questions LIVE.
With my background as an architect, I’ve taught perspective sketching in architecture and interior design programs at colleges and universities for decades. I’ve drawn on that experience to create a course that starts with easy concepts and progresses through many aspects of sketching buildings and spaces in perspective. You’ll see and learn things that you could not get in an in-person workshop! Concepts are explained with simple diagrams, together with loads of photos and sketching examples — information that you can incorporate into your sketching now, regardless of your preferred sketching or painting style or media. It’s about getting the “good bones” right!
The course is broken into two sections, with 3 classes in each section. You can take the first 3 basic perspective classes, and if you want to continue with more complex topics, you can sign up for all 6 classes. Here’s a breakdown of the content:
- Class 1: Creating a Road Map to Follow
- The foundations of a perspective sketch in 3 simple steps
- Class 2: Perspective Fundamentals
- One and two point perspectives—what’s the difference?
- View Angles and View Eye Levels
- Class 3: The Importance of Foreshortening
- Easy, wide-angle perspectives
Understanding Perspective | Advanced
- Class 4: Multiple Vanishing Points
- Streets, Roofs, Stairs
- Class 5: Circles in Perspective
- Arches (they are not like horseshoes!)
- Class 6: Looking UP
- Towers are like wedding cakes
- Domes are round
++++++++++ WORKSHOP FEE
- Understanding Perspective: Classes 1-3 only, Workshop fee is US$135.00
- Understanding Perspective + Advanced: Classes 1-6, Workshop fee is US$260.00
Workshop fees are payable by check for US participants (preferred) or by PayPal for US and international participants.
++++++++++ DATES AND TIMES
Session 1: Sundays at 9am Seattle time (12noon New York, 6pm Paris) Starting September 20 for 6 weeks (September 20, 27, October 4, 11, 18, 25.) Note: this class is particularly targeted to beginning sketchers.
Session 2: Mondays at 4pm Seattle time (7pm New York; 9am Tuesdays in Sydney, Australia) Starting September 21 for 6 weeks (September 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19, 26.)
- Each class is expected to run about 2.5 hours.
- Classes will be limited to approximately 15 participants
- Additional sessions will be added at future dates and times!
++++++++++ HOW TO REGISTER
REGISTRATION OPENS SEPTEMBER 7, 2020 at 10am Seattle time:
- When registration opens on September 7, send an email to StephanieBower.Workshops@gmail.com indicating which workshop session (session one or two) you’d like to take, and if you plan to take classes 1-3 or 1-6.
- I’ll sign up participants in the order your email was received.
- Payment instructions will be emailed to those who have a spot.
- Additional information and a list of materials will be emailed to registered participants.
- During this class, will you be sitting outside on location or are we working from photos?
Sadly due to the pandemic, we cannot sketch together live on location just yet. This will be the next best thing as you join me in my tiny studio and we work from carefully selected photos with the understanding that ultimately, the course is about location sketching. In some ways, you’ll see the demos BETTER than when done in person, as Zoom will allow you to look at my sketches up close.
- What do you mean by an “interactive PowerPoint”?
I’ve created these classes to mirror a real college course. Most of the information is delivered through detailed PowerPoint presentations that I’ve developed. I’ll pause throughout the presentation so that you can draw and take notes, and I will sketch along with you as well. At the end of each class, we’ll apply the concepts learned to an actual live demo. I’ll draw and paint a scene step-by-step so that you can also draw and paint with me at the same time. And before each class, I’ll email participants a worksheet that they can print out and use for notetaking or simply to help them follow along.
- I’m new to sketching, is this class OK for me?
YES, I love teaching beginners! If you are new to perspective, or simply want to improve your knowledge and skills, this class is for you. The Sunday morning session is particularly targeted to brand new sketchers.
- I’m new to sketching and am worried I’ll be overwhelmed. Can I only take the first three classes?
I break up perspective concepts into easy to understand segments, so it shouldn’t be a problem for most people to take the entire course. But if you want to pace yourself, you can indeed take the first three classes, then at a future time (provided space is available), you can take the second set of three classes. The course is structured to allow participants to do that!
- I’m already a pretty good sketcher, will I learn anything new from this class?
YES! Even seasoned sketchers will benefit from seeing this approach and for the deep dives into architectural elements like multiple vanishing points, ellipses, and domes. I’ll also show lots of shortcuts to sketching complex subjects in simple ways.
- Will there be homework?
Homework is optional, but I’ll provide a few images at the end of each class that you can work on at home and at your own pace.
- I don’t have a computer or tablet, can I still take this class from my phone?
Because this course is very visual and the information is quite detailed, you’ll need a large screen like a computer, laptop, or large tablet to do this course. A phone or small tablet will not work.
- What art supplies will I need for this class?
You’ll need your basic sketching equipment, including watercolors. I’ll email participants a list of supplies.
- What equipment do I need for this class?
Use the largest screen and best wifi connection available to you!
You will need to have ZOOM downloaded onto your computer (ideal), laptop, or large tablet.** It is a free online download that is easy to use and perfect for this course. Instructions on how to join the live class will be emailed to all registered participants.
- You can download the free Zoom app here.
- A short video about how to join a Zoom meeting is here.
- Zoom frequently asked questions are here.
- **Note: We will be using the side-by-side feature for viewing on Zoom. That way, you can see both the PowerPoint and my sketches at the same time. That’s why you will need as large a screen as possible!
- How does this course compare with your Craftsy classes and books?
The biggest difference between this class and Craftsy and my books is that this is LIVE instruction! You can ask questions and I’ll answer in the moment. Most of this content is brand new, and doing the live demo together at the end of each class will cement the concepts you are learning.
- Will this class be recorded to show again at a later date in case we cannot participate in the live classes?
At this time, there are plans to only do the live classes–no recordings. One, I don’t have a camera that would work, and two, the Zoom recordings are apparently not very good quality. So only live for now!
- Will you be offering more classes in the future?
Definitely! I intend to keep offering Understanding Perspective. If you’ve got suggestions for other days and times, please let me know. The plan is to also add more courses, such as sketching interiors. So stay tuned!
Thanks so much for your interest in this course! I hope to see you on Zoom!